Recently we have setup our lab for SharePoint and Lync integration. We have worked on the Skill Search integration, where we can search for a SharePoint contact using the skills specified in various MySite attributes. Integration steps are straight forward and we have completed all the steps without any issues.
We are able to get the proper search results in the Enterprise search results page, but we raise the same from the Lync client, we are receiving “No Records Found” message.
In our lab setup, we didn’t added the Email field for the AD users. For getting proper skill search results in Lync Client, we need to setup the Email for every AD users.